This is part 2 in our series about FeedBurner.
See part 1 here.
As promised, we’re now going to explore the world of FeedBurner.
Blogger gives me the tools to create my Atom feed. Atom, like RSS, is a dialect, a contract that defines the structure of my xml’ized blog. Blogger does Atom, some blogging tools do RSS .9, 1.0 or 2.0. FeedBurner promises to make my Atom file understandable to syndicators that rely on RSS, so I’m all set as far as standards are concerned:
- Use Blogger
- Create an atom file,
- Give the atom file to FeedBurner
If you need help creating your Blogger atom file, click here.
Remember, xml is not meant for human consumption. Atom is much friendlier on the eyes than RSS-type xml (your browser thinks it’s HTML), but it’s role in life is to be a feed. The “eProgramming: Software for Web Marketing feed is:
This is what we’ll hand to FeedBurner’s URL entry box on the home page.
FeedBurner now presents me with a world of services. I can:
- detail traffic stats about individual feed content items
- make my feed work with any reader
- enable my feed for Podcasting
- make my feed human-readable (what was I just saying about xml not being meant for human consumption?)
- add Amazon.com links to my feed (for which I’ll get a referral fee if clicked)
- and really a whole a lot more….
Let’s start with item stats.
- check the Item Status box
- name my feed “eProgramming for SEO and SEM”
- name my URL http://feeds.feedburner.com/eProgramming-for-seo-sem
Note that I did not take the default URL name: EprogrammingForSeoSem. Search engines want human-readable words, and eprogrammingforseosem is not a word.
After easily creating an account I am asked to verify my only service choice, to gather item-level statistics for this feed.
I admit I am pretty pleased when I see:
You have successfully activated the feed “eProgramming for SEO and SEM”
I have reason to feel pleased, as FeedBurner politely compliments me:
Well Done. What Next?
My choice is to launch my publicity tools. Publicity Tools. Let us ponder this… publicity… tools. eCommerce Blogging is about writing targeted content to attract a targeted market, and FeedBurner is offering me free publicity tools.
We will explore these tools in detail in the next post.